For my Sequoia National Park adventure I wore a simple long black dress from Express, a gorgeous gold necklace from Madewell, a black floppy hat, and my trusted Ahnu Montara hiking boots. You’re probably wondering, what? Why are you wearing a dress for a hike? I chose to wear a dress because the weather was nice in Sequoia and I was hiking on easy and well-maintained trails. Since I wasn’t going to crawl through bushes, scrape up against rocks, or hike in insect infested areas-wearing street clothes to the park was doable.
Wearing a dress to go hiking had its advantages:
- My body remained nice and cool throughout the hike
- I didn’t have to worry about matching a shirt to the right bottoms
- The dress looked good in my adventure photos
- After hiking I went straight to a restaurant and didn’t have to change my clothes
There were some disadvantages of wearing a dress:
- I was worried about grazing into poison ivy along some of the trails
- My legs were exposed, which made them an easy meal for mosquitos. Luckily I did not get bitten at all!
Note: I carried a pair of hiking pants in my pack to avoid getting rashes and bug bites. Always be prepared for the worst when you’re hiking!
This dress is not being sold anymore on Express but here are a few dresses that I think are cute: