The Lululemon Speed Short is more than just a running short. It’s an essential piece of clothing for all your warm weather activities. These shorts are super stretchy, breathable, lightweight and comfortable-making them a perfect companion to a wide range of sports.
Does the Lululemon Speed Short live up to its marketing claims?
- DESIGNED FOR – Run
My opinion: Yes they are perfect for running! I experienced no chafing or restrictions when I ran in the shorts.
- NO-DIG WAISTBAND – Soft, no-dig waistband lies flat against your skin
My opinion: As claimed, the waistband did not dig into my waist.
- CONTINUOUS DRAWCORD – Easy to tie and won’t get lost in the wash
My opinion: Yup, there is an infinity drawcord and it has not popped out of my shorts yet.
- LIGHTWEIGHT LINER – Helps keep shorts from riding up
My opinion: Agree, my shorts do not ride up and stays in place when I workout.
- THREE-POCKET WAISTBAND – Gives you plenty of storage options
My opinion: Yes there are three pockets but the pockets are small and shallow. I can only store my keys, cash, and cards in the pockets. Two pockets are located at the front of the waistband and a zipper pocket is located in the back of the shorts.
- RELAXED SENSATION – Gives you the ultimate feeling of nothing in your way—it sits away from your body to give you maximum room to move
My opinion: These shorts truly do not get in my way when I’m executing all those crazy rock climbing moves
According to Lululemon’s website, the shorts are made out of 3 fabrics: Swift Ultra, Lycra, and Luxtreme.
Swift Ultra fabric claims:
- lightweight coverage
- no-bulk performance
- woven for strength
- four-way stretch
Yes the Swift Ultra fabric does live up to its claims! The short’s material does feel lightweight when I wear them. I don’t feel weighed down when I wear the Lululemon Speed Short. I expose these shorts to various activities like rock climbing and dancing-I haven’t seen any holes on them yet. The material stretches with my body and does a good job of wicking sweat away from my body.
Lycra fabric claims:
- Added LYCRA® fibre for great shape retention
- Long-lasting comfort
Like most fitness bottoms, the short’s material does retain its shape after being stretched. The short is indeed comfortable-so comfortable that I like to wear the shorts to sleep and to lounge around in.
Luxtreme fabric claims:
Cool-to-the-touch Luxtreme® fabric waistband is four-way stretch, sweat-wicking and provides a secure fit.
I don’t think the Luxtreme fabric feels cool when I touch the shorts but the shorts definitely does not trap heat during my workout sessions.
The Lululemon Speed shorts are very comfortable! Here are a few examples of just how comfortable they feel:
- I can easily high-step in these shorts when I’m rock climbing
- I can transition into all the Warrior yoga poses smoothly
- When I’m weight training I can squat and do side lunges without any discomfort
- When I feel like twerking to get my cardio fitness in-I can easily pop my booty and drop it down low without feeling constricted
- On the rare occasion that I go running, I feel like I’m wearing nothing
Wear them for rock climbing, yoga, weight training, dancing and running.
The coverage of these shorts are too short in my opinion. When I tried on the size 2, the shorts barely covered my butt. When I bent over, the whole world easily got a good view of my ass cheeks. I sized up and went for the size 4 and the length was modest enough for me to strut around in.
Colors and design:
The Speed Short comes in a variety of colors and designs. Most of the designs are interesting and the patterns never get too crazy. The current fall season colors are mostly grey. I think the previous season prints are better because the designs are more colorful. Overall Lululemon prints tend to be conservative. I would like to see crazier prints in the future!
The Lululemon Speed Short is nearly perfect. The only thing I would want to change is to add a larger back pocket which will allow for me to fit a phone back there. Despite the lack of large pockets, the Speed Short is a must-have in your gym bag.